Friday, January 13, 2012

An Opening Bullish Run

This race is the opening salvo for runners this year. Late November last year, the 16K and 21K slots were already sold out.  It was a good thing that we decided to register for 16K as soon as we were able to survive our Milo 10K run.

Why the 16K and not the 21K?  Well, I didn’t want to rush things. I am the type of person who sticks to the plan. I am already training for 21K and based on the schedule, I’m supposed to run around 15-18K this week.  So, just to add spice to the training, we decided to sign up.  Other motivations are, of course, the give-aways, like the finisher’s shirt and the medal (aside from the singlet, of course).

SO how did it go? 

We were at the site at around 4:30 AM. The gun time was at 5:20, so we still have time to do some warm ups and other prep stuff.  I thought running the new distance was going to be a grueling task so I had some muesli and a half-glass of milk for early breakfast.

The gun start was not the usual. It was a bell, like the one they use at the PSE trading hall.  At 5:15, the 21K runners sped off, shortly followed by us, the 16K runners.

As mentioned by last year’s participants, hydration was a problem. So, I made sure to bring my own drink (water with some Gatorade).  Indeed, it was a good move. The first hydration stop, though, was at 500m.  Can you believe that?  Who gets thirsty after running just 500 meters?  Anyway, at 3K there was no hydration. I even overheard somebody complaining about it.  Hydration came at around 5K and after that though, there was a continuous supply at regular intervals so I didn’t hear any more complaints. There was also a supply of Pocari sweat, which turns out to be nice drink, and I had it for a couple of times.

The refreshing experience I had was with the water shower. Too bad, though, that the singlet seemed to be not so dri fit, since I was dripping wet (especially on my tummy part).

The first 10K was smooth, and it wasn’t really that hard.  In fact, I even broke my personal record in the Milo 10K run.  But, when I approached the Kalayaan flyover, it was really a struggle. I was able to run the first pass.  But coming back, I did feel the drain of energy.  My feet were so heavy it was really difficult to run.  So, I walked going up the flyover.  It was bliss going down; however, the last 3K was done using the walk-and-run strategy.  The flyover had really zapped a lot of my energy.

I finished the 16K at 2 hours, 12 minutes and 42 seconds.  I bested 242 runners (being ranked 426 out of 668, not so bad! LOL)

It was really exhilarating crossing the finish line. I even lingered at the shower area for a while.

Then I gulped an iced can of Pocari sweat. So sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment