Tuesday, December 13, 2011

First 10K race with Milo

Undoubtedly, MILO is one of the most popular races being held in the Philippines.  Last Sunday, thousands arrived at the Mall of Asia to participate on the 35th Milo Marathon Finals.  Of course, only those who qualified during the prior elimination races done on major cities all throughout the country can participate in the full marathon (42K).  For 3k, 5k, 10k and 21k races, anyone can register and run.



We signed up for 10k.  Well, it's time to level up after running two 5K races (adidas king of the road and SGV First Step Race), right?  Part of the race kit is a sheet containing running tips by Coach Jim Saret.  Tips such what to do the night before the race, food and hydration, pacing, injury and even post race considerations.  Fantastic!!

The most striking tip I read was regarding toenails.  What?  Yes, toenails.  Of course, we knew it already.  We have to regularly trim our toenails.  But, I brought it to the next level.  I had a foot spa at Justine Barbara while waiting for my girls do their Kumon.  Not just a regular spa, mind you, but an executive  foot spa. No, it's not a spa for executives (I'm not one, I'm just a corporate slave!).  I think the difference between a regular and executive spa lies on the additional foot products that they do apply (for a steep difference of P100 pesos in the price!).

Anyway, so I'm running my first 10K race with Milo not just with trimmed toenails but also with softened callus sliced off from the sole of my feet.  Hubby, an avid fan of barefoot running, actually discouraged me to do so for it will lessen my cushion daw.  But, I don't have a pretty feet so it's actually a regular ritual for me.

We woke up ahead of the alarm clock (it was set at 3:30 am).  Hubby was quite excited and couldn't sleep well.  Left home at 4 am and on our drive to Mall of Asia, we ate one boiled banana each.  We arrived at around 5am, gun time for 21K runners.  Our gun time was at 5:30, same time with the 5K and 3K runners but they will have a separate start/finish line and different route, which is a good thing since lots of them would certainly walk and it would be discouraging (I mean, it will have a parrot effect on me coz I like to imitate them and walk!)

3K and 5K runners have different start/finish lines!
We were off at exactly 5:30 am after Coach Rio bade us good luck!  It was truly a well-organized race.  With hydration sites at every 1.5 kilometers (wow!) and some sprinklers put up (very nice!).

10K was a long run...I forced myself to enjoy the views, especially when I passed by Manila de Bay along Roxas Boulevard.  The first three kilometers as well as the last three kilometers were easy.  What's hard was the middle 4-7 kilometers.  It was hard especially when you saw some 10K runners already done with the U-turn at 5K mark (located at Pedro Gil).  The U-turn spot seems to be so far away.  I kept on racing with a barefoot runner wearing Vibram Fivefingers.  Sometimes, he was ahead of me but often times I was.

The once famous baywalk along Roxas boulevard
Upon reaching the 4K mark, I was in need of a portalet.  I knew that there will be one along Roxas Boulevard.  Alas, at the U-turn, there was indeed not only but two.  So I took my pee break and lost the competitive barefoot runner.  I totally forgot about him until I resumed racing and ran past him at around 7K mark.  Oh my, he was already walking!!!

I finished the race at 1 hour, 22 minutes and 3 seconds.  Cut-off time was 1.5 hours.


This was actually my motivation not to walk no matter how tired my legs were.

Only those who made the 1.5 hours cut-off time were give this finisher's certificate for 10K

Proud 10K finisher!!!

As for my feet, the executive foot spa did not work.  I could feel that my two big toe nails were on the verge of dying (okay, that was exaggeration, they were only about to pass out!!!).  I guess, it was no longer a problem about trimming toenails or having foot spa before a run or race.  It's about having a running shoes which will make your feet happy despite a long arduous task ahead (task=long run).

So, I decided to retire my Puma running shoes and bought a new one - K-swiss Kwicky Blade Light (could no longer wait for Santa!)
My new running shoes!!!
I had a break in run this morning and true to its name, my K-swiss are really light.  I bet they are also quick should my running pace had been a little bit faster!!!  Oh well, happy feet = happy fabulous run =)))




2 comments: